Friday, January 26, 2007

The Old Man in the Third Row

A 29 year old sex offender was recently discovered posing as a 7th grade student at a middle school in Pheonix. He was enrolled in the school as a student by a 61 year old sex offender posing as his grandfather.

Sounds impossible, right?

I thought so too until I had a 45 year old in my first period class today. I almost asked him if he was a co-teacher from the special ed department. Before I started subbing I briefly worked as a cashier at a grocery store. If this kid had come through my line with a case of whiskey and a carton of Marlboro Reds I wouldnt have even thought about carding him. As a matter of fact, if our store had had a senior discount, I probably would have given it to him without even asking.

The strangest thing was that he asked me to get involved when two other students took his pencil and wouldn't give it back. The kid looked like a hard drinking highway worked who had spent the last 25 years busting concrete with an air hammer. I'd like to think that looking like a grizzed old man would be enough protection against bullies stealing your pencil. Apparently not. No one is safe in this district not even veteran highway workers in the magnet schools.

1 Comments:

Blogger Colin Loughlin said...

excuse me teacher can i borrow your red pen so i can spell check your blog? also is that jack hammer reference an ode to me, i've had my days ghost ridin the jack hammer.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home